Water Dept. FAQ

Q. I'm moving, what about my utilities?

A. To end or disconnect your utility services , an owner or tenant of the property can do so by calling the Utility Billing Clerk at City Hall at 608-323-3359 ext. 13 or by stopping in at City Hall. If you need to start or connect utility services, please stop in at City Hall to fill out an application.

Q. I have a question(s) on my utility bill?

A. For questions or information regarding your utility bill, please contact the Utility Billing Clerk at City Hall at 608-323-3359 ext. 13.

Q. My utility bill has a high water reading this month?

A. A higher than normal water usage total for the month on your utility bill could mean you have a leak. If your water bill is higher than normal, an operator from the Water Utility Department will usually notify you within a week after your meter is read, either by coming to your residence or hanging a notice on your door. Your water bill could be higher than normal for a number of reasons; houseguests for an extended period of time, leaving a outside faucet or hose running, watering your lawn, leaking faucet or toilet or an activity that used water such as filling a swimming pool or power washing the house or deck. We recommend that you check your residence or business's internal and exterior plumbing for leaks. The most common problem associated with a high water usage is a toilet that is not working properly. Internal plumping of a residence or business is the customer's responsibility to maintain and repair. If you have any questions, please contact the Water Utility Department at 608-323-3452.

Q. What part of my water service am I responsible for or what do I do if I have a leak in a pipe, valve or faucet?

A. The cost of a household plumbing leak or dripping faucet can add up quickly in water loss and on your water bill. The owner of the residence is responsible for the service line from the curb-stop (shut off) in the yard into the home. The owner of the residence is also responsible for all internal plumbing (pipes, valves, faucets, etc., including outside hose connections). The Water Utility Department is responsible for the service up to and including the curb-stop in your yard. The Water Utility also owns the water meter in your residence and will perform any maintenance, repair, testing or replace your water meter at no cost to the owner. If you have any questions regarding your water service, please contact the Water Utility Department at 608-323-3452.

Q. What should I do if I am going to dig, landscape or put in a new driveway, etc.?

A. You need to call Digger's Hotline at 811 or 1-800-242-8511 at least 3 working days before you dig to request that the underground utilities be located. Digger's Hotline will notify us along with other utility companies to locate gas, electric, cable and telephone. Digger's Hotline is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. For more information you may also check out their website at www.diggershotline.com